Self-introduction and Expectations


To: Mr. Blackstone
From: Swathi Ramesh

Subject: CPD 2 - Self-introduction and Expectations

Dear Mr. Blackstone,

I am Swathi Ramesh, a second year hospitality business student at Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT). Through this email, I aim to introduce myself and address my expectations for this CPD 2 module.

I enrolled into SIT in 2017 after graduating from Republic Polytechnic with a diploma in Wellness, Lifestyle and Spa Management. I had limited options available with my ‘O’ levels results and decided to do something related to hospitality. During the course of my diploma, I had worked in retail outlets like Smiggle and Lovisa as a part-time sales assistant. My first hospitality job experience was with Banyan Tree Spa, Marina Bay Sands for my polytechnic internship. I was also offered a full-time position upon graduation. This opened my eyes to the hospitality industry in Singapore, and I discovered my interest in hotel management.

Pursuing a degree was not really my intention as I planned on working for at least two years. However, with the persuasion and encouragement of my parents and ex-colleagues, I applied to SIT’s Hospitality Programme as I was keen in this specific subject area. Apart from my professional background, I have had experiences hosting events during my time in primary and secondary school. I also organized events while I was in Republic Polytechnic. Such events had exposed me to be a better communicator as I had to interact with many people.  

Overtime, I have grown to be a confident speaker who does not hesitate to voice out opinions and queries. However, I do have a tendency to speak very quickly which is something I aim to work on. I hope that this module would enable me to learn what it really means to be a good communicator and work towards being one. I also look forward to the group project as it highlights service excellence, a topic of my interest.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Swathi Ramesh





Edited: 30th Januray 2018, 1358 hours

Comments

  1. Hi Swathi. I love that you are able to confidently share your thoughts. It is something I wish that I could do without worrying too much about whether I might make a mistake or say something that the other party might not like. Honestly, I do not think that you speak too fast as I am still able to understand you clearly. It also gives me the impression that you are excited to share something with me. Nevertheless, I hope that you will achieve the goals that you have set for yourself by the end of this module.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment Afifah. I look forward to see you in class this week!

      Delete
  2. Hi Swathi, I would love to hear more about your hotel experience as that is something that I have not much knowledge on. I think it's awesome how we have so much in common like organising events in polytechnic and being rather vocal. Can't wait to work with you on the group project, seems like you'll have much to contribute:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Christine. Thank you for your comment. I will surely share more about my hotel experience with you in class. Looking forward to working with you for our group assignment.

      Delete
  3. Hi Swathi,

    I love how you shared some photos with us. It's interesting to hear your take on how you eventually chose to pursue your degree. Like you, I was in a lot of dilemma after poly graduation as well. I'm glad we got to cross paths in this course and I hope that we will get to know each other a little better through this module (: Looking forward to interacting more with you!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Laura. Thank you for your comment. Looking forward to see you in class this week.

      Delete
  4. Dear Swathi,

    Thank you for this clear and concise yet fairly comprehensive introduction letter. In it we learn about your varied background, including your rich work experience. As I read about your jobs, I wondered what it was that inspired you to pursue further education in hospitality business (besides the advice of your parents). What is it about customer service that attracts you?
    Also, what sort of projects did you lead when you were in poly, and how specifically did these experiences help you develop as a communicator?

    At the same time, from class I can see that you have refined your interpersonal skills. In terms of eye contact and other nonverbals you always show good attention to speakers, and you seem genuinely engaged in our classroom discussions. When you state that you want to become 'a good communicator,' what would that entail, in your mind? It's not hard for me to imagine you in leadership position. What would you need to do that?

    In terms of language use, this is a good effort with just a couple minor areas to review:
    -- a second year Hospitality Business > (overuse of caps)
    -- This opened my eyes to the hospitality industry in Singapore and I discovered my interest in hotel management. > (lack of comma) This opened my eyes to the hospitality industry in Singapore, and I discovered my interest in hotel management.

    As Laura mentioned, too, it's nice tat you included photos in your post.

    I look forward to working with you further this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mr. Blackstone,

      Thank you for your constructive feedback. I would say that the ability to make a positive influence in customers's experiences was a factor that encouraged me to continue in this line of business. While I was in Republic Polytechnic, I organized events like Halloween and Student Orientation where I had to communicate with several other students. This made me a rather confident speaker over time.

      I believe that to be a good communicator, it is also essential to be a good listener. I would not agree that I am a very good listener as i tend to wander off in my own thoughts sometimes. I wish to work on that aspect.

      Thank you once again and see you in class!

      Swathi Ramesh

      Delete
  5. Thanks, Swathi, for the explanation.

    Enjoy your holiday!

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interpersonal Communication Issue

Welcome Post